Transfer Policies and Credit by Examination

Requesting a CMU Transcript
Transfer of Credit
General Education Requirements for Transfer Students
Transcription of Transfer Credit

Requesting a CMU Transcript

The student's permanent record is confidential, and, by the terms of the Family Education Rights of Privacy Act, transcripts of the student's record are not issued except upon receipt of a signed request from the student. A fee of $7.50 is charged for each transcript. Electronic PDF is available for $9.25. Priority mailing for official transcripts is available for an additional $25.00 per address and FAX service for unofficial transcripts costs an additional $7.50 per transcript.

Official transcripts are issued directly to other schools, employers, official governmental agencies, or other persons or organizations entitled to receive an official statement of the student's record. Unofficial transcripts are issued to the student or parents.

No transcripts will be issued for any student or former student who is not financially in good standing with the University. Transcripts will not be issued to current students during the last two weeks of the term, until grades for that term are recorded.

To have a transcript issued, complete the online request form. For further information call the Registrar's Office at 660-248-6208.

Transfer of Credit

Students who have attended other Colleges (including dual credit courses taken while in high school) must request an official transcript to be sent to Central Methodist University (CMU). The transcript can be mailed or presented to the CMU Office of the Registrar; it can be presented to an extended campus site in a sealed envelope from the sending College’s Academic Records and Registrar office; or it can be delivered as an e-transcript through the National Student Clearinghouse. Any other form of transcript will be considered “unofficial” and will not be accepted for transfer credit. Official transcripts are required to transcript credit. Courses that cannot transfer are not used in GPA calculations.

A maximum of nine (9) hours of graduate-level credit from other accredited institutions may be applied to the graduate programs at CMU, depending on the specific program of study. The courses transferred must be applicable to the categories of the degree program. All courses for transfer credit must have a grade of "B" or above. CMU students who earn a Master's degree at CMU may transfer up to nine (9) hours from that degree to a second Master's degree from CMU. 

In regards to transfer of credit, CMU recognizes the following accrediting bodies for the definition of “accredited institution:” Higher Learning Commission, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Middle States Commission on Higher Education, New England Commission of Higher Education, Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, WASC Senior College and University Commission, Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, National Association of Schools of Music, Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education, The Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education, The Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs, Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education, Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, and other accrediting bodies subject to approval by the Registrar.

To determine transfer credit from the aforementioned list of accrediting bodies, CMU will: 1) Review the most current Higher Education Directory for College Accreditation, 2) Transfer courses with CMU equivalencies or check course descriptions.

The Office of the Registrar will consider credit from accredited institutions (not noted above) on a case-by-case basis. To determine transfer credit from colleges accredited by associations not noted above, CMU will:  1) Review the most current Higher Education Directory for College Accreditation, 2) Obtain course descriptions for courses under consideration for transfer,3) Request additional documentation as needed, such as a syllabus, 4) Conduct review and approval through academic division chair, 5) Provide approval or denial information to student’s advisor.

A Transfer/Articulation Agreement or Transfer Guide outlines courses as part of a completed program taken at a community college or other institution of higher education, which apply toward degree requirements at CMU. CMU personnel work in consultation with the Office of the Registrar to establish a transfer agreement. Agreement drafts are submitted to the Office of the Registrar for consideration, which will consult with academic divisions and faculty as needed. Approved and final agreements will be posted to the University web site and with the Office of the Provost.

Current CMU Students Transferring Credit in to CMU

CMU strongly encourages CMU students to get prior written approval (from the appropriate Division Chair, Provost, and Registrar) before enrolling for any courses at another institution and then attempting to transfer the credit to apply to any CMU degree program. This will ensure that the proposed transfer coursework will apply to their degree programs as they intend. If students take courses at another institution without advanced written CMU approval (from the Division Chair, Provost, and Registrar), CMU accepts no responsibility for the applicability of these courses to the student's degree program.

Students Transferring to Central Methodist University

CMU subscribes to the guidelines of the Coordinating Board for Higher Education of the State of Missouri. CMU welcomes students with course work from other accredited colleges and pledges to seek harmonious solutions to any problems that transfer students may encounter.

Transcription of Transfer Credit

The Office of the Registrar enters transfer credit on the student’s CMU transcript after evaluating the student’s official transcripts. Some departments or degree programs have time limits for transfer courses. A course may transfer as a CMU equivalent but because of its age, may not be applicable to a specific major. (See individual programs for more detail.)

If a student does not agree with the evaluation of a course for transfer credit, he/she may submit a catalog course description or course syllabus from the sending College to the Office of the Registrar to have the course re-evaluated. The Office of the Registrar will review with division chair and provide decision back to student. If the appeal regarding the disputed course is not resolved, the student may appeal utilizing the Grievance Policy and Process.

Transfer credit is awarded for courses completed at colleges and universities outside the United States that are accredited or approved by the Ministry of Education (or other appropriate government agency) of the country in which they are located. The transcripts must be translated into English and evaluated course-by-course by one of the recognized transcript evaluation services. A student may be asked to provide course descriptions or course syllabi to determine course equivalencies. (Contact the Office of the Registrar for information.)

Any irregularities in transcripts that are received will be checked and if a document is determined to not be authentic, admission will be denied and registration at CMU will be canceled.

All College transcripts must be on file prior to enrollment. A registration hold will be placed on the student’s record until all official transcripts have been submitted.